Orientation program on “Daughters are precious” At Regional College, Sitapura Campus
Regional College for Education Research and Technology, Sitapura organised a awareness program on the topic “Daughters are precious”
Dr. Bijayalaxmi Panda, Regional Advocacy officer, Action Against Hunger/Fight Hunger Foundation, Jaipur were the speaker of the event.
She discussed the following topics:-
· Why we discriminate against Girls?
· Why we don’t want a girl child?
· Safety of Girls
· Religious reasons
· Sons for old age support
· Family name related issue
She explained that Root Cause of Sex determination are Poverty
· Lack of Education
· Low status of women and girls in a male dominated society
· The culture of son preference
· Monitoring of foetus sex determination
· Obsession for Son.
· Fear of dowry by many poor class families.
· Girls are considered as financial obligation by many parents.
· Advancement in technology, nowadays parent determines the sex of a child before birth.
· Some of the doctors do this heinous act to fulfill their money desire.
Dr. Bijayalaxmi Panda share information about The Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994.
She also discussed about
· 104 & 108 helpline for complaints
· IMPACT software
· Active tracker on Sonography machines
· GPS on new machines
· Mukhbir network and then Decoy operations
· Separate courts for hearing such cases in all districts
· Beti Bachao Prakoshtha and “Daughters are Precious” campaign
· Regular inspections by Appropriate Authorities at State/ District/ Sub Division
· Workshops, Seminars etc for awareness in community.
Overall the event was very mush informative. The students asked lot of question about the topic and enhance their knowledge.